Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Caesar Salad

My family's caesar salad recipe is the bomb. I served it a week ago when out-of-town friends came in. When I asked "anchovies or not?" I got a resounding "I don't care. Either" which was music to my ears. As far as I'm concerned, anchovies are what make a caesar salad THE BEST SALAD. I wouldn't eat anchovies on anything else, mind you, and so when I make this salad I do cut them up really really tiny and also mash them into the wooden bowl to infuse the salty taste. I made a huge bowl for 5 people and we ate our salads off of dinner plates and there was none left . . . enough said.

The Don and Joy Caesar Salad Extraordinaire — Must be used with a wooden bowl. Why? Just because. And I use a wooden spoon just because it feels like I'm in Italy and that's part of creating the mood!
(and of course, with a typical family recipe, there are no real measurements; it's all a matter of sticking your finger, rather unhygienically, into the bowl to taste)

- Rub garlic powder into a wooden bowl
- Add 4 tablespoons of oil (I use canola oil)
- Add one cap of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parboil one egg, add to liquids and stir (in many restaurants this portion of the recipe has gone away because of the danger of using raw egg; hence, this parboiled version should ease any fears yet still impart the same great taste. I parboil by placing an egg in cold water, bringing it to a boil, turning off the burner, covering it and letting it set for 3 minutes. The result should be a runny yolk and a watery but set egg white)
- One whole can of anchovies. Take one half of the can and cut up fine and rub in the bowl. Take the other half, cut up finely and mix in with the greens.
- parmesan cheese (I always grate fresh; big difference)
- romaine lettuce
- croutons (I never even use these because to me it's like putting steak sauce on a great steak. Not necessary. But if you feel inclined, go for it. Personally, I'd rather serve the salad with a wonderful bread.)

3 comments:

Katie said...

Yummy! I agree, the best caesar is an anchovy base! I hope your slipcover turn out great! If you want a 40%off coupon before this weekend I have one JoAnns mailed to me that I can fwd to you!

Freckled Hen said...

I agree about the anchovies--and croutons for that matter. In fact the more posts I read from you the more I smile. A month or two ago I saw we share the same couch (flowered) and this morning I see our bed linens are nearly identical. I, too, have a white matelasse bedspread with a handmade blanket folded along the foot of the bed (only mine is pink and white). I am missing that adorable dog who looks so model perfect sleeping on your bed...oh and those feet! My feet are definitely not that cute. I hope your recovery is going well and I hope you didn't bring that dresser for your daughter into the house by lifting it yourself! Have a great week...and thanks for the morale boosting comments...I'll check in with you Monday!

Maureen Reynolds said...

I don't seem to see my plate anywhere...did I miss it?!??!? sounds yummy, and easy. I get 'good' eggs so I should actually try this one day.

You might also like . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails