Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hometown Nazareth VBS — The Rolling Sets

Bad me. I didn't capture pictures of the rolling sets as they were used during VBS. We had fake trees all around them as well as children dressed in costumes. The little girls carried baskets of fruits and vegetables on their heads; adorable.  I took these pictures inside. Sorry they're void of any charm and character, as I took these pictures in an empty children's auditorium. But you get the idea.


This rolling set has a gate that opens and closes. The men who built it for me thought of everything, including the one-piece ramp that fits snugly over the base of the frame. The clothesline holds a fabric sign — I painted the theme name on it. It's clothes-pinned on so that it can easily come down and clothes can be hung.


The second set has a doorway. For both pieces I glued straw on the "roof". After gluing it down I staple-gunned a strip of cardboard the full length so that stray pieces of straw would stay in place.

The opposite side of both sets is an indoor scene. I hung these plastic peppers and perched a dollar store bird on the roof. The curtains at the window and doorway are hung on branches. And there's even a little mouse hole (I printed out an illustration from the web, which when I enlarged it became very pixelated, so I just painted over it to give it definition.)






3 comments:

Gale said...

This is very cute! I am working on a webpage about decorating for Bible theater/vbs etc. and I was wondering if you would mind if I included these pictures of your rolling scenery and linked back to your post where you have the plans (http://gahangirls.blogspot.com/2011/05/hometown-nazareth.html).

Also, how did you do the rolling part? It looks like you just used chair rollers but it's hard to tell from the picture.

ecarian at yahoo dot com

Meredith said...

Love how it turned out!! I got the bones of our set done this weekend, now on to painting it. :) I especially love how the curtains are hung on branches-nice touch! And what a cute little mouse. :)

Gale said...

Thanks again for letting me use your pictures. I started out trying to create a Bible Set Design page (which I may still finish), and found so many good walls it turned into just a "how to make arock wall" page. Here's the link. Please let me know if I need to change anything about how your picture is credited.

http://www.squidoo.com/workshop/fakerockwalls


'Gale

You might also like . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails