Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A New Ritual

The morning routine at Chateau Gahan has changed quite drastically. Harleigh started swim team two weeks ago, which means that she, Gideon and I rise at 4:30AM four days a week. I pack her lunch and a breakfast, get her out the door by 5AM for practice, feed little man, then let him out and tuck myself back into bed. Harleigh calls me at 5:45 when she gets to the swim venue, then again at 7:45 when she arrives at school (I still like to know that she gets safely to places), so my two hours back in bed don't constitute a good sleep. But any zzzzz's help.

Harleigh has surprised me with her enthusiasm and commitment to swim team. You see, she's a girl who needs her sleep. And so my biggest concern was the early rise. But she's loved swimming so much, that getting up at 4:30 is a minor sacrifice. She goes to bed at night between 9 and 10, and so she's been well-rested (and relishing Saturday morning's sleeping in more than ever).

But the happiest with the new schedule has got to be Gideon. The crisp, cold air has him antsy to be outside, and energetic as all get-out! So when I put him out in the morning, he's quite happy to run in the leaves and lie on the chilly cement patio. The new schedule allows him way more outside time in the morning.

The picture above (please ignore wet nose prints and drool on sliding glass door) shows his stance at around 7AM — sitting on the patio waiting for the dog who lives behind us, Miller, to be let out. I swear, he knows when it's 7:00. He and Miller run back and forth along the fence line. Gideon thinks Miller is the next best thing to sliced bread. When Miller poops, Gideon runs and "assumes the position" as well, even if there's nothing to come out. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

7 comments:

Lorrie said...

I just love doggy friendships! Fun for Gideon to get the extra outside time. Good for Harleigh for her committment to swim!

Tiffany said...

I love your stories about Gideon. :)

Bella Della said...

Gideon is the cutest. I love that picture.

Unknown said...

My mother swears that they're furry people!

Glad the early rising is not making Harleigh suffer...if that was here, I'm not sure of the outcome...

Liz Harrell said...

That has to be one of the cutest pictures ever. Makes me want to hug him!

Anonymous said...

Bless Harleigh for getting up so early. I don't think I'm that committed to anything or anyone.

Dogs are so smart. Isn't it funny how they latch on to a routine just like we do.

Gretchen

Blogger said...

That's hilarious! I wish I had 2 dog neighbors to watch running along a fence and frolicking around...I just don't want the dogs myself...the work...lol. But they are cute:)

4:30 is soooo early, but good for her, that's great, go Harleigh!!!

Bella

You might also like . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails