Sunday, October 12, 2008

Meet Iris

Harleigh wanted our new scarecrow to have a flower name. So, I'd like to introduce you to Iris. I vowed that this year I'd not buy a pre-made scarecrow from a hobby store, but would craft one myself.

I created the form by taping the heck out of two pieces of plastic volleyball net poles. I dressed our gal in old clothes from our closets. Her hands are work gloves from the dollar store with the fingers stuffed (they sorta look like ill sausages) with pillow batting. Glued some straw around her wrists.

Her head is one of Gideon's soccer balls (sorry, guy, after the holidays you'll get it back). I covered it with some leftover canvas from my living room slipcovers, tying it around the neck with string. Her face is drawn on with Sharpies. I decorated the straw hat by gluing on dollar store flowers and then made a face net using the net bag that fruit comes in. The pigtail is yarn, tied at the back of the hat and then braided, topped off with a yellow polka dot ribbon.

She's wearing one of my aprons. And the pièce de résistance is the strand of pearls. The volleyball pole is shoved into dirt into an old planter and anchored to the gutter with string.

Happy Autumn!

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Iris is lovely!
Sarah
Vintage Lily

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Iris is adorable! I might just have to make her a partner. So much nicer than the storebought ones. Jackie

Anonymous said...

I love Iris. You and Harleigh did such a great job putting her together. She's awfully glamourous with her pearls, but after all, she is a Southern Lady.

Gretchen

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

She looks great - good job! I need to work on our scarecrow - his pants fell off!

Manuela

Elizabeth said...

Iris is truly adorable :)

Anonymous said...

so cute!

Unknown said...

Very cute and clever! I found your blog through Songbirdtiff, and I'm glad I did! I'll be visiting more often!

Deb said...

Such a cute scarecrow! What a creative job you did putting Iris together :-)

ali said...

i'm loving iris but missing you! did she scare you away??? :)

hugs, ali

Betty said...

I was going to make a scarecrow for our porch. I was going to make a "him" but now I think I'll make an Iris too! Maybe call her Sunny though. Very cute!

Steve Webb said...

Howdy Dawn -- I lost your e-mail address and all your other pertinent information but wanted to stay in touch. Then low and behold when I googled your name up popped a blog called "The Gahan Girls. I really like what you've done with the blog and with everything you've done that's gone into it. E-mail me sometime so we can reconnect again and keep up the good work -- all of us here at the institute are 100 percent behind you.
Giddy-up,
Big Cowboy Steve

You might also like . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails