Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Humbling Purchase

Last Saturday I stopped in the St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store. As I was getting ready to pay for my items, a woman stepped up to the counter, with no merchandise in her hands. The cashier saw her first even though I was first in line, and offered her help. The woman pointed to me and said "no, she was first," to which I replied "no, you go ahead, I'm in no hurry." The woman then proceeded to explain that she, her husband and four children were out in the car and were in need of food. The cashier told her that the St. Vincent caseworker was due at the thrift store soon, but was currently at a local church if the woman wanted to drive over to the church for assistance. The woman explained that they really didn't have enough gas to make the drive to the church, and that she'd wait at the thrift store for the caseworker to arrive.

I then paid for my few items, tossing in a few extra dollars, knowing that St. Vincent de Paul would put the money to good use to help families like these. Why is it though, that I couldn't bring myself to give the woman money right there on the spot? A part of me thought it might be a scam; I've certainly been on the receiving line of those before and felt rather foolish. Why did I consciously look out to see what they were driving and then assess the situation? Why did I question why the husband wasn't out delivering pizzas or doing whatever it took to feed his family? Why did I not feel compassion?

I purchased this little dish and these two religious charms. Perhaps there is a reason that I was there, in that store, that day, buying these items. Reminders of being humble and reaching out to those in need.

4 comments:

Robin said...

thats a really sad story. I've often hesitated to give in a situation like that too...but in the end...if it makes MY HEART feel good, then so what if it was a scam or not....(chances are I'd never find out anyway, but walk away feeling SUPER). At the grocery store a man was in line behind me and hubby asking other shoppers for change...he did not or would not ask us. He was only buying a bag of chips and milk. When the cashier gave me my $2.00 worth of change I gave it to my hubby to give to the man. He did not even say thank you! My hubby was a little miffed....as we walked away...I said "Maybe we stunned him speechless!" Thats what I'd LIKE to think anyway!
I've been a lurker here....tonight I'm "coming out!"
Robin

Ashley said...

Hey Dawn -- Speaking from the perspective of the case worker (last year I went to a thrift store a couple days a week to give out clothing and food vouchers) you definitely made the right decision by giving your money directly to the thrift store. Not that I'm assuming this family was not going to put the money to good use, but I found it was always better to stick to procedures. Hopefully the case worker was able to assess the situation and give them the help they needed.

Didn't mean to go on a rant! :) We all missed you yesterday!

JGH said...

Dawn, I feel your conflict reading this. I think you did the right thing, especially knowing that a caseworker was on the way to help. Not long ago I saw a woman get out of a car packed with stuff at a shopping center. She sat down on the bench and cried and I just knew she was on her last dime and living out of her car. Why didn't I reach out to her and try to help? I think about it a lot. Other times I give and also wonder if the money will go toward the intended purchase.

Unknown said...

We've all been there. Ashley's right--you were in the right place to do the right thing. That's what they're there for--to help those truly in need who aren't just looking for a handout.

You might also like . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails