Sunday, July 6, 2008

Bike Envy

On my last visit up to Baltimore to visit my sister, I was smitten with a rusty vintage bike she has in her garden. With a metal bike basket on the front spilling over with flowers, it was too adorable. I've seen old bikes used like this before, and looking at this one every day for a week from the screened in porch was just too much. I had to have one. I've been looking for one for probably two years now and to no avail.

But this past week when we cleaned out the garage, I decided that my old bike (in the yard sale pile now to go to Goodwill) would work just fine with a little work. It's not as rusty and vintage-y as hers, but with time, it's sure to get that nice garden patina. I cleaned it good and spray painted it blue. The handlebars were covered with black foam padding and that was easily cut off. Then I added on a basket. Lined the basket with plastic and filled it with a perennial and annuals. Then secured it to the tree with wire and a bent nail. I think it looks rather pretty. Here are the before and after pix.

9 comments:

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I love the blue bike. When you said blue, I was hoping that would be the color. You've got me thinking. I have one hanging in storage too! Got to finish that ottoman first.

Unknown said...

Oh I love your blue bike! Perfect!

Jen Kershner said...

Oh, it's perfect! You did a great job. And it's my favorite color. I think I'm in love.

Deb said...

Hi Dawn
Your bike is absolutely fabulous!! I love the blue.

cammy said...

Bike envy indeed. LOVE IT!!
BTW, I have awarded you with a blogging award.

Maureen Reynolds said...

Very nice addition to the yard.

I am tagging you for 6 Random Things.

1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on the blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post.
5. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Vandoren Academy said...

Wow! What a adorable idea! I didn't even recognize it as the same bike!

Bristol said...

I love the blue bike, looks really cute~
Bristol

Liz Harrell said...

Wow. Fantastic. THIS looks like summer! :)

You might also like . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails