Sunday, June 3, 2012

First Annual Summer Ahoy Low Country Boil 2012

My mom wanted to do a kick-off to summer meal for the whole family, and Harleigh suggested a low country boil. So on Saturday evening we gathered for what has been deemed an annual tradition (hence the "First Annual"). Mom's version of the boil included king crab legs, shrimp, ears of corn, onions, potatoes, and kielbasa. Poppy made a roux which was so good; I didn't even need to butter the corn. Then Grandie topped off the meal with a trifle of coffee-infused chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, whipped cream and broken-up Heath bars. And there was good wine, of course.

I didn't get any pictures of the food or the table — dang nab it. Our family dinner affairs, even though they rarely top 8 at the table, ALWAYS have placecards. For the Summer Ahoy theme, I took little plastic bathtub toy sailboats and wrote with a sharpie on each stern the boys' names: SS Poppy, SS Lynn, SS Kasey and SS Grayson. The girls' cards were slotted pool toys I found in the shapes of porpoises and seahorses. Made a name card and positioned them in the slots.

Enjoy the pictures! Harleigh and Kasey were in rare form, obviously hepped up on the aroma of a low country boil on the stove. And for camp, Kasey got his hair cut. See the before here:




















4 comments:

ali said...

are you kidding me with this post?!?!? casey with short hair is INSANE. wow - seeing his full smile with harleigh by his side is so amazing. i LOVE his short hair - it is just perfect. and harleigh with her curly hair? why EVER straighten??? i would kill for that hair. the two of them together put everyone's hair to shame. seriously. i'm calling my stylist. right now.

ali said...

and i just spelled his name wrong. sorry kasey!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Definitely some fun going on there!

Lisa said...

I cannot look at pictures of the two of them without crying. I have no idea why! I'm not kidding. :') Beautiful kids and looks like an awesome time. My soon-to-be daughter-in-law's name is Kasey. Cool, huh?

You might also like . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails