Friday, April 5, 2013

Kitty Matchbox



I can't use the word "kitty" without singing the song in my head from The Big Bang Theory, the one that Sheldon's mother used to sing to Sheldon when he was sick as a child.

Soft kitty,
Warm kitty,
Little ball of fur.
Happy kitty,
Sleepy kitty,
Purr, purr, purr.

Now that that's out of the way . . . here is a birthday-gift matchbox that I made for co-worker Jessie. If you're like me, candles are a staple in the home. I have them everywhere. And I like to make cute little matchboxes to set out. Harleigh has several that I've made for her, and every time she comes home, I give her a supply of matchsticks as refills (I have a giant bag of matchsticks leftover from advent calendars that I've made. See here and here).

While scrapbook paper works to cover the boxes, I can't always find ones that I like. So when I chanced upon this book of papers inspired by vintage textile designs, I knew I could get some mileage from its page after page of retro sweetness (I've got the Flora edition; beautiful!). I'm always on the lookout for mini ceramic animals as toppers. I often create these matchboxes using ceramic kitties, and make the ball of yarn using a marble and embroidery floss. I glue the heck out of everything adhered to the box top, as these are handled quite a bit.



Here is a blurb about the Repro Depot books (pulled from their website reprodept.com)

6 x 8 in; 256 pp ; full-color images throughout, DVD with 225 JPG patterns included! Paperback

Reprodepot Pattern Book: Folk — Charming? Yes. Handy? And how! This delightful collection offers 225 vintage-inspired textile patterns ready to print out and craft up. The book pages feature the colorful designs from which users can choose to reproduce from the included disk. Flora gathers together sweet blossomy designs, while Folk features homey motifs. Each book includes step-by-step directions for ten fabulous papercraft projects.

No comments:

You might also like . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails