Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Joy of Cooking


The weekend past was, as most these days, filled with cooking and baking. I’ve really gotten into trying new recipes and, in turn, having a tasty selection of lunches and dinners for the week.

With Kasey and Harleigh at Chateau Gahan on Friday and Saturday (for Grayson’s one-year-old birthday), I had made my Nana’s sloppy joes which I served on fluffy sesame seed buns with a slice of provolone. I also had fresh salmon (which I’d baked in Publix’s ginger teriyaki finishing sauce), steamed broccoli and brown rice. Had a poppy seed cake front and center on the kitchen counter in a glass domed cake server. And what a joy it was to pull out my electric griddle on Saturday morning to make corned beef hash, scrambled eggs and bacon for two hungry college kids!

I was on Monday’s rotation for a meal for Molly and Jamie (new parents to Hammond), and made twice-baked organic sweet potatoes, broccoli slaw salad and tried a recipe I’ve been wanting to make for awhile . . . white chocoloate fruitcake fudge. It turned out more like nougat/divinity and boy is it sweet, but really good. Brought the leftover fudge to the office and got some rave reviews.


Pinterest recipes have been a constant source of inspiration, and a chicken ditty really caught my eye. After reading the 100-some comments — people either raved about it or didn’t care for it at all — I gave it a shot. I like it a lot, but I put way too much fresh rosemary on top; go for the fresh rosemary (it does add to the flavor), but keep it to a minimum. I used thighs, not breasts, because I love the moistness of dark meat, but I think the white breast meat might create a different flavor medley, one just as good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything sounds really yummy! I thought I was the only one who still makes Sloppy Joes. My family loves them too. I mentioned you and your blog in my post today.

Gretchen

Molly Hargather said...

absolutely delicious, as usual! we can't thank you enough :)

You might also like . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails