Sunday, October 9, 2011

Before and Afters



I'll get on with the craft before and afters in a bit. But for now, let me just say that a gab session with God can do wonders for the soul and a girl's outlook on life.  It will, no doubt, create a before-and-after much more monumental and life-changing than any room redo or wardrobe fix. I entered the weekend defeated and crippled with guilt and confusion. By this evening, well, let's just say that I listened for a change. I handed it over, and He took charge. I don't do that nearly as much as I should. This stubborn old mule knows when she's beaten down enough to surrender. She knows when her behavior has taken her hostage. And she admits that happiness is to be found in things worth fighting for, but doing so with humbleness and grace.  That, my friends, is the big before-and-after.

On the homefront, I enjoyed a weekend like I've not experienced in quite a while. Chateau Gahan held me within its warm embrace for the good part of two whole days. And excursions out were for the single purpose of nourishing my body and soul. What more could I ask for?


Harleigh has a lighted paper lantern in her apartment bedroom and I'd wanted to do something to spruce it up. I saw this idea on the Dos Family blog that used a large round balloon and crocheted paper doilies. Seemed to me that I could hijack that idea for the paper lantern. I think the end result is pretty — not as lovely as my inspiration — and will make Harleigh's French Provincial Bohemian Chic room sing with vintage sweetness. Here are images of it hanging in her room at Chateau Gahan. It will soon grace her Statesboro crib. I used doilies from my Nana's wellspring of handmade doilies. They can live in a closet or be cut up and used to enjoy. I think she is looking down and smiling.



And I began, in earnest, my work on several shell crosses for my Etsy shop. I've got four going at one time, each one with a special touch. Just putting my hands to shells at my craft table makes me feel as if I'm on a white sand beach, the sun on my back, not a worry in the world.



And here is a before picture, the after to come soon. Harleigh's desk chair is in major need of a redo. And so I'm hatching something wonderful. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Sounds like a blessed weekend. Jackie

azlina said...

Dear Sir/Madam,
I, Azlina, editor of the Visual Arts Education Book for Form 1 Students published for the Ministry of Education Malaysia, would like to request for permission to use the pictures/photographs/masterpieces from your blog. Please contact me at this email for further information: yusazlina11@gmail.com . Thank you.

You might also like . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails