Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bible Storybook Keepsake Box

I got into major craft mode this afternoon and made this keepsake box. I began with vintage books about the Bible. This particular one is in a four volume set, so I have three left to make more boxes.

I began by drawing a rectangle on the first page of the book and then drilled a hole in each corner. These served as my guides when I took a ruler and exacto knife and cut out the inset. This took a while since I could only do enough pages as I could cut through. Once the box was cut out, I replaced my drill bit with a drum sander and sanded the cut edges to smooth them out and even them up.

I covered the inside front cover with scrapbook paper as well as the inside back cover (which you can see at the bottom of the box) and a portion of the cover. I then added pages from vintage Bible story books I had on hand. Then as a final step I brushed glue on the last page of the book to adhere it to the back cover, then the outside edges of the pages as well as the edges inside the box. Allowed it all to dry by stacking books on top to keep it flat. I also slipped a piece of wax paper between the cover and first page so that they wouldn't stick if there were any stray glue.

Harleigh can use these as graduation gifts for friends, and I just might keep a few to use as gifts!


2 comments:

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Neat! Is this one of the gifts that you are making for Harliegh's friends? Jackie

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift and a great place to save a lifetime of memories!

Hugs,

Gretchen

You might also like . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails